The Montmorency Falls are located about 10 km east of Quebec City at
the mouth of the Rivière Montmorency, just in front of the Island
of Orleans. The falls were named by Samuel de Champlain in 1613 after Henri
II, duc de Montmorency who served as viceroy of New France from 1620 to
The falls are 76 metres high, the highest in the province and 27 metres higher than Niagara Falls. A cable car carries passengers up to the top of the falls. In the summer, an international fireworks competition is held here. With the falls as a backdrop, the show is spectacular.